What's PWAs?A Progressive Web App (PWA) is a website that make use of the modern web technologies to deliver an app-like experience to users. User can "install" PWA web page to their home screen and enjoy several features that in the past only available in the native mobile app.
Key benefits of PWAsHere are a list of some prominent benefits brought by PWAs:
- Content can be cached for offline access
- Less storage used as contents are incrementally downloaded
- Quick loading
- More Security than mobile app
- Push Notification Enabled
- Full-screen "app-like" experience.
- Splash screen customization
DemoWe have recently made one of our web app to be partial PWA. On Android phone, or desktop, you can use Chrome to browse to https://www.infogenie.xyz and use it for like 5 minutes then close the tab and open it again, you will see the "Add to Home Screen" banner shown up. You can also browse pokedex.org. We will cover the step to make this in another blog. Figure: PWA add to home screen prompt on desktop chrome browser (prompt at the top)
Figure: The web icon installed to the Home Screen